Each regional office offers their own collection of specialist business programs. Below are a few offered in select ISBDC rlocations. Contact your regional office to learn about which of programs are available near you. Click here to find your office.
NxLeveL™ is a multi-week course for both potential and existing entrepreneurs that offers a practical, condensed series of entrepreneurial training sessions. The purpose of the courses is to teach entrepreneurs better business planning skills, from business concept development to the actual preparation of a comprehensive business plan. The course enables them to work through the various stages of business growth and development.
Unlike other training programs, NxLeveL™ addresses the special needs of the entrepreneur by providing a practical, hands-on, common sense approach to developing their small business—whether just starting out or ready to grow.
NxLeveL™ courses incorporate the following:
- Experienced business educators and prominent business leaders as guest speakers for each teaching module
- Networking and learning opportunities with local business leaders and participants
- Comprehensive textbooks, workbooks, and resource guides
- One-on-one business counseling and support as needed
The SBDC can now assist you to “Learn How to Sell on eBay the Right Way!”
Businesses and individuals can now have a small business professional teach them the right way to sell on eBay. Training is delivered by an eBay Education Specialist using the most up-to-date training and student materials – the same ones used by eBay University. So you know you’re learning to make the most of eBay to increase your revenue.
The training will teach you how to:
- Do research and create listings that will attract buyers
- Enhance listings with better descriptions and photography
- Set pricing that will maximize your profits
- Open and use a PayPal account to simplify getting paid
- Monitor sales to know exactly what’s working and what’s not
- Avoid many of the costly mistakes that new eBay sellers may make
“Many local small business and individuals in Indiana are eager to sell their products online, especially through eBay,” said South Central Indiana SBDC Regional Director Brian Kleber. “Local small businesses can now learn how to expand their businesses by tapping into eBay’s 50+ million buyers”
Recognizing that customer service is critical in today’s business environment, the Mystery Shopping Program serves as management’s “eye’s and ears” and allows business owners to evaluate their business from the customer’s perspective.
We send secret shoppers into your business to measure customer service, quality, price and the total shopping environment using objective criteria. Mystery Shops are performed through in person visits as well as over the phone and can be useful for service, retail, and restaurant businesses. The results are delivered in a written report that identifies areas that need improvement.
With the information received from the SBDC Mystery Shopping program, business owners can:
- Establish customer service guidelines
- Monitor as well as reward excellent performance
- Motivate employees to provide excellent service to all customers at all times
- Identify training deficiencies
- Ensure objective analysis of business and employee performance
- Improve telephone performance with all employees
- Monitor the performance of one location when compared to another or how the performance of the same location has improved over time
- Identify small problems before they become big problems
In 1988, the Indiana Small Business Development Center (ISBDC) created the Collegiate Management Assistance (CMA) program in response to the growing need for low-cost management assistance to local small businesses. Entrepreneurs can qualify for free management assistance through projects conducted by a team of undergraduate or graduate students seeking practical real world experience.
Guided by their professor, students meet with the entrepreneur throughout a semester. In a confidential setting, students identify problem areas and opportunities, conduct research, and recommend plans of action in the form of written and oral reports.
Working alongside students, our Business Advisors provide invaluable assistance in implementing the action plans recommended by the collegiate team and ongoing assistance to clients after the project has been completed.
The Collegiate Management Assistance program is designed to be a two-way street. While the entrepreneur learns ways to improve business and increase profits, students gain valuable, practical experience. The entrepreneur’s involvement will test students’ business training and provide them with first-hand exposure to small business management.
What Entrepreneurs Are Saying About The Collegiate Management Program
“The students did a marvelous job. They analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of my management. They looked at the business from an entirely different angle. They really gave me a better picture of my business.” -restaurant owner
“This program was very beneficial to our company. It gave us information that we neither had the time nor resources to acquire. Thank you!” - industrial equipment manufacturer