Jim Bartek- Eight months ago, after the Midwest HIMSS (Health Information and Management Systems Society) conference a few things were very apparent:
- Indiana has abundant strategic assets in both Healthcare and Software Development
- These groups rarely interact and tend to ignore each other’s industry
- Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) can be highly profitable, but there are many barriers to getting started
- Across the nation mashups, hackathons, and incubators focused on HIT innovation are becoming part of a successful model
- We have an amazing opportunity to help Indiana (you) excel in HIT new product innovation
The Hoosier Healthcare Innovation Challenge is designed to be the first step (and an experimental one) in bringing together these industries to launch a few new products. Several major Indiana Healthcare Organizations including St. Vincent’s, IU Health, Community Health, the Franciscan Alliance, and Indiana Health Information Technology, Inc. have come on board to submit challenges. These challenges could be pilotable within six months and are something the organizations are interested in working with software developers to guide forward. We also have experts in legal, regulatory compliance, finance, and HIT project management donating their advice to the leading teams. Add some cash for the leading teams and we think we have cleared some of the added hurdles Healthcare brings to IT.
If you are in IT or Healthcare and interested in launching products at the intersection of the two, this is a must attend event. Both pre-existing teams/companies and individuals are invited to attend. Attendees should either be able to provide guidance as a healthcare worker, or be able to design, build and launch an IT solution. Read the challenges, register for the event, and learn more at www.HoosierChallenge.org.
This is a volunteer effort and the money raised will pay for the event and for prizes. TechPoint, Develop Indy, Ice Miller and many others have come together to make this happen because we all believe HIT is an industry that Indiana entrepreneurs can be highly competitive and profitable.
From the desk of Jim Bartek, Director – Purdue Technology Center of Indianapolis
Purdue Research Park of Indianapolis